The facilitating unit comprises of the following different sub units:
Information System Unit (ISU)
Main responsibility of the Information System Unit is preparation of maps using GIS software/ tools. Different software used for the purpose includes ArcGIS and ERDAS etc. The soil survey team provides field maps (prepared during soil survey) to this unit for onward processing. Information System Unit is performing following functions
- Thematic mapping (e.g. land use, vegetation, soil etc.)
- Special purpose mapping (suitability maps)
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Volume and surface area calculations
Basic Soil Investigation Unit
Assignments carried out in this section are as follows:
- Soil Textural Analysis
- Sand Fraction
- Clay Fraction
- Moisture Percentage
Assignments carried out in this section are as follows
- Soluble Salts
- Total dissolved salts (TDS)
- Sodium Absorption Ratio (SAR)
- Residual Sodium Carbonate (RSC)
- Exchangeable Sodium Percentage (ESP)
- % Organic Matter
- % Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3)
- Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC)
- Micro Nutrients
- Macro Nutrients (N,P,K)
Field Trials/ Research
- Under this section, different trials/ research is carried out at field level. Soil and water samples collected in the field are analyzed in the laboratory and then different research reports are published.
Report and Library Section
- This section is main custodian of all the reports and maps prepared in hard form.
- All the Soil Survey reports prepared to-date are available in this section.
- This section contains the books related to soil survey, journals, publications, different special purpose reports published by this department, etc.
Soil Reference and Information Unit
- This unit is responsible for in-house briefing about different soils of Pakistan to students, officers, officials from different institutes.
- The soil profiles collected from different areas of the country (called monolith) are preserved in this section.
- These monoliths are representatives of different soil series found in Pakistan. These monoliths are used for detailed briefing on soil horizons/ layers, different characteristics of representative soil series.
- Drawing Section is custodian of ammonia printed maps, toposheets, aerial photographs, mosaics etc.
- Preparation/ printing of analog maps
Training Section/ Institute
- This section performs the main function of on job training to different officers/ lecturers/ students/ officials from different departments/ institutes/ universities of Punjab government
- Various units/ sections like Administration, Accounts, Transport, General etc. are responsible for administration in the Directorate General.